In our continuing quest to introduce more people (including children) to the
benefits of chiropractic care we are offering a complimentary consultation to see if chiropractic can help. Call the office for an appointment and bring in this page in order to receive your FREE consultation. Call now: 856-778-8688
Enjoy the benefits of chiropractic – the largest natural, drug-free, surgery-free, expressive healthcare system in the world.
More and more families are discovering that periodic chiropractic checkups and adjustments promote health and healing without drugs and dangerous medical treatments.
More and more people are turning away from symptom treatment and choosing natural ways of achieving and maintaining health.
Tired of taking drugs and the medical runaround? Welcome to the world of chiropractic – discover how natural health can be.
This Issue’s Table of Contents
- Your most protected organ
- Posture and Depression
- Questions and Answers – what is a chiropractic examination?
- Questions and Answers
- Traditional Eating
- Did You Know?
- Researching Chiropractic
- Success Story
Your most protected organ
Did you know that your brain and spinal cord (called the central nervous system because they are in the center of your body) are the only organs in your body surrounded by solid bone? Your brain is surrounded by your skull and your spinal cord, (an extension of your brain that goes down your back) is surrounded by the bones of your spine. The column of bones going down your back is called the spinal column or vertebral column.
This simple fact tells a lot about the importance of the brain and spinal cord; they play a vital role in the health of the human body.
Many, many muscles, ligaments, tendons, discs, and meninges are connected to your spine. They attach from your spine to your head, arms, legs, shoulders, hips – just about all your body structure. That’s why you keep stable as you sit, stand, walk and move. Without them you would be a pile of disconnected bones laying on the ground. Yeech!
The job of your chiropractor is to keep your head, spine, hips, discs, ligaments, muscles, tendons, and the rest in proper alignment. You should be straight from the front, and from the side it should have natural curves. If you are not properly aligned, you’ll lose energy, have possible nerve interference going to internal organs that cause dis-ease (body malfunction) and even mind/body problems.
This is our specialty – keeping you and your family in balance, alignment and with peak energy. Thank you for being part of our practice.
Posture and Depression
Research shows that poor posture or abnormal spinal alignment can take years off your life! And create stress associated with mental depression and other disorders. If that doesn't tell you posture is important, what does?
For over a century chiropractic care has been improving the posture and function. As you continue through your care in our office you will notice drastic improvements in your posture as well as your overall health. Including your mental attitude. There have been many studies relating posture to physical and mental health.
Researchers found that people who were depressed experienced an improved mood after they changed their posture to be more upright. In one study sixty-one men suffering from mild to moderate depression were chosen to sit with their usual posture or upright posture. Changes in facial expression, fatigue and speech were assessed.
Those who assumed better posture had less fatigue compared to those keeping their usual posture. Also, the upright group exhibited less negative affect and lower anxiety. It seems that developing good posture habits can help you feel more confident, energetic, and happy. If you're slouching as you read this, pause and pull your shoulder blades back and together, relax your shoulders down away from your ears, and look up. The more you work on it, the easier it will get, and simple changes like this can result in a noticeable difference in how you feel day in and day out. (1, 2)
Severity of Depression
It was found that there was a relation between the severity of depressive symptoms and the degree of spinal curvature. This was especially noticed in working environments. (3)
Chiropractic helps promote a natural body alignment. Do you know anyone who is miserable and sad all the time – send them our way.
Questions and Answers
Q. What is a chiropractic examination?
A. A chiropractic examination is a unique procedure that your Doctor of Chiropractic spends years learning. The goal of chiropractic is to locate and correct subluxations – areas of brain, spinal nerve, and structural stress interfering with normal body function. That is why a chiropractic examination involves procedures designed to check your spinal and body balance, and abnormal muscle, nerve, and bone function.
There are dozens of chiropractic procedures designed to see if you have abnormal body structure, abnormal muscle function and abnormal neurological function. Why not ask us what procedures we most commonly use?
Myocardial infarction was almost non-existent in 1900. Doctors thinking about specializing in heart ailments were told that they’d starve because heart disease was so rare, they might see only one case in their entire career.
MI is when there is a massive blood clot leading to obstruction of a coronary artery and consequent death to the heart muscle.
By 1960, there were at least 500,000 MI deaths per year in the US. What life-style changes had caused this increase? What made MI go from rare to the number one killer. Two words: vegetable oils.
For all human history the only oils or fats (they are the same) that were used were those that were found in nature: olive oil, coconut oil, butter, tallow, lard, chicken fat, goose and duck fat (mostly saturated fats).
Good fat consumption is essential. In 1900 egg consumption was three times what it was in 1956 and corn oil was unavailable, and Mis didn’t exist. Good fats don’t cause heart disease, but bad fats do.
Today, we have cheap seed oils that are created under high pressure and temperature. and are damaging to the cardio-vascular system: canola oil, soy oil, corn oil, sunflower seed, cottonseed, safflower, and other “seed” oils (mostly unsaturated fats). Another dangerous product is margarine – derived from petroleum. These oils cause inflammation of the heart’s arteries and promote blockages.
If you’d like to live a healthy, long life do yourself and your family a favor and ditch the vegetable oils for traditional fats. (4)
Did you know?
Children have many more bones than adults?
It may be hard to believe but a tiny newborn baby has about 305 bones. Adults, on the other hand, have 206 bones.
Many of the “extra” bones are in the skull. Eventually they fuse into larger bones. Why the skull?
The baby’s head is very large and during the birth process the head would be too large to pass through the pelvis and birth canal unless the baby’s skull bones were flexible and could squeeze and overlap a bit.
In addition to the skull babies are also born with more leg and arm bones – this allows for continued growth.
By late adolescence, most of the bones in the body are fully formed and have fused together. However, for some people the bones in some area may remain unfused. That is why it’s so important to individualize care – we are all different. (5)
Chiropractic clinical case histories have been a regular feature of our patient newsletter since its inception. There seem to be no limit to the health problems that respond to chiropractic care. How many people suffering, on drugs, facing a life of limitation could be helped by chiropractic care?
Probably most of them.
Eczema, Ear infections in a 28-month-old. A 28-month-old boy suffering from eczema, ear infections and poor balance was brought in for chiropractic care.
The child had a persistent rash since the time of his first birthday. The mother tried numerous emollients and lotions without success to help with the intense itching.
Subluxation-focused chiropractic adjustments were administered. The child had 27 visits over a 3-month period. At his 3-month re-assessment, his mother reported his eczema to be gone. The patient remains under regular chiropractic care and experienced only one eczema outbreak over the following 3 years. His ear infections resolved, and his balance improved. (7)
ADHD in a 5-year-old. A 5-year-old boy was brought to a chiropractic office for examination, for the detection and correction of subluxations. Vertebral subluxations were located, and the child received a total of 54 adjustments in the upper cervical (upper neck), thoracic (mid-back), lumbar (lower back), and sacrum over six months of care. The mother noted improvements in behavior. (8)
63-year-old woman with Meniere’s. Meniere’s disease is characterized by a spinning sensation (vertigo), hearing loss, ear ringing (tinnitus), and ear pressure. The vertigo may be so severe that the sufferer could experience severe nausea and imbalance.
This is the case of a 63-year-old woman who presented to a chiropractic office with a 10-year medical history of right sided Meniere’s disease that included tinnitus, hearing loss and vertigo. Medical care included surgery: cutting her right vestibular (cranial) nerve that was believed to be causing the problem. The surgery failed to reduce and/or resolve original symptoms.
Eventually she decided to explore chiropractic care. A chiropractic examination revealed a vertebral subluxation of the first cervical (C-1 or atlas) vertebra. This is the vertebrae immediately below the skull. Her atlas vertebra was adjusted, and her Meniere’s symptoms were painlessly and non-surgically reduced with eventual completely resolution. (9)
Sinus and Blood Pressure
It has taken me years to really get the treatment I needed to help with my problem. I am so pleased with the progress I continue to make during my time that I spend with Dr. Horning.
With following his diets ideas and avoiding foods that I was aware of that are contributing to my sinus and blood pressure problems, and my adjustments I continue to do well. My last blood pressure check was a tremendous improvement.
On a day-to-day basis, I can notice the difference and I feel so good and much better than I had in the past.
Thank you, Dr. Horning.
PARAPROSDOKIANS are figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence is unexpected. Winston Churchill loved them. Some examples:
1. Where there's a will, I want to be in it.
2. Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
3. If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.
4. War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
5 Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
6. They begin the evening news with 'Good Evening,' then proceed to tell you why it isn't.
7. To steal ideas from someone is plagiarism. To steal from many is called research.
8. In filling in an application, where it says, 'In case of emergency' – notify, I put 'DOCTOR.'
9. I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
10. Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they look sexy.
11. Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.
12. A clear conscience is the sign of a bad memory.
13 I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.
14. Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. Nor is there any future in it.
15. Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
16. Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a car.
17. Finally: I'm supposed to respect my elders, but it’s getting harder and harder for me to find one now.
18. I am not arguing with you, I am explaining why you are wrong.
1. Wilkes C, Kydda R, Sagarb M, Broadbenta E. Upright posture improves affect and fatigue in people with depressive symptoms. Psychiatry, Vol. 54, March 2017, Pp. 143-149.
2. Canales JZ, Fiquer JT, Campos RN et el. Investigation of associations between recurrence of major depressive disorder and spinal posture alignment: A quantitative cross-sectional study. Gait Posture,
2017 Feb; 52:258-264.
3. Kim YK. The Association between Working Posture and Workers' Depression
Healthcare (Basel). 2022 Mar 3;10(3):477.
4. The Oiling of America. By Sally Fallon and Mary G. Enig. https://www.westonaprice.org/oiling-of-america-in-new-york/
5. Why Do Babies Have More Bones than Adults? An overview of how many bones babies are born with. https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-many-bones-babies-are-born-with-5189808
7. Herring R, Piehl L. Resolution of Eczema, Ear Infections & Balance Problems in a Boy Undergoing Chiropractic Care to Reduce Vertebral Subluxation: A Case Study & Review of the Literature. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health, Chiropractic ~April 18, 2022, ~ Volume 2022 ~ Pages 26-32
8. Boman C, Stolarski K. Improvement in ADHD Symptomatology Following Chiropractic in a 5-Year-Old Male: A Case Report & Review of the Literature. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health, Chiropractic ~ Volume 2022 ~ May 2, 2022, Pages 33-43
9. Pennington D, Miller JD. Successful Chiropractic Management of a Patient with Meniere’s Disease post Vestibular Nerve Section: A Case Report. Journal of Upper Cervical Chiropractic Research ~ November 30, 2015, ~ Pages 34-40.