August 1, 2021
In our continuing quest to introduce more people (including children) to the
benefits of chiropractic care we are offering a complimentary consultation to see if chiropractic can help. Call the office for an appointment and bring in this page in order to receive your FREE consultation. Call now: 856-778-8688
Enjoy the benefits of chiropractic – the largest natural, drug-free, surgery-free, expressive healthcare system in the world.
More and more families are discovering that periodic chiropractic checkups and adjustments promote health and healing without drugs and dangerous medical treatments.
More and more people are turning away from symptom treatment and choosing natural ways of achieving and maintaining health.
Tired of taking drugs and the medical runaround? Welcome to the world of chiropractic – discover how natural health can be.
This Issue’s Table of Contents
- Chiropractic and Your Infant
- Chiropractic Questions and Answers
- Getting Ticked Off
- Just the Essentials
- Did You Know?
- Researching Chiropractic
- Success Story
Chiropractic and Your Infant
How do infants benefit from chiropractic care?
Chiropractic for infants? They have low back pain? Hardly—yet infants need chiropractic care to
ensure that the stress of labor and delivery hasn’t damaged their spines and delicate structural systems. Other stresses they receive can involve falls—statistics tell us that nearly half of all
babies have had a fall from a height (off the changing table, off the bed, etc.). Chiropractic care will help ensure a healthy baby with better resistance to disease and better ability to discharge toxins. Also, correcting subluxations may help a baby who is ill return to health more quickly and more comfortably.
There are many case histories of chiropractic helping children with all kinds of conditions—asthma, colic, difficulty breastfeeding, ear infections, autism spectrum disorder, vision and hearing disorders, neurological conditions—no matter what conditions babies may have, chiropractic care can help them grow into healthy, happy children. (1-4)
Chiropractic Questions and Answers
Q. Why do some people get sick and others do not?
A. That question was discussed by DD Palmer, the discoverer of chiropractic.
Palmer wrote extensively on the perfection we are born with and the many ways that perfection can be perverted or prevented from functioning. When we function at less than 100%, when we are unbalanced with spine and nerve stress, when we have physical blockages that decrease life energy flowing through us (subluxations), we suffer from dis-ease, which is a common precursor to diseases of all kinds.
Dr. Palmer was very much ahead of his time when he described the three causes of dis-ease (body malfunction) as follows:
1. Thoughts—emotional stress. The emerging science of PNI (psychoneuroimmunology) studies the intimate and intense relationship amongst thoughts, brain and immune system function. This confirms Palmer’s original insights into the relationship between the mind and body. See the article below on marriage and longevity for an example.
2. Trauma—structural distortions that affect and weaken our ability to adapt to all environmental stresses. Physical traumas may be from birth, macro-trauma such as sports injuries, car accidents and similar events or micro-trauma such as always working in the same position, always swinging a golf club or tennis racket the same way (and on one side) or living on a planet with gravity—meaning everyone on this earth.
3. Toxins—poisons that we are exposed to that are internal or endogenous (produced from within) or external or exogenous poisons that we are exposed to from the environment.
Internal toxins can be from a poor diet, an unbalanced intestinal flora, dental/oral infections from root canals and unhealed wisdom tooth sockets. External toxins can be from the pesticides and herbicides that are in our foods (always eat organic foods), vaccinations (a toxic brew of chemicals), air pollution, smoking, anesthesia, drugs (prescription as well as otherwise) and even EMF—electromagnetic frequency radiation (i.e., cell phones and cell phone towers), among others.
Chiropractic care permits your body to function at its best. By releasing old physical/structural stress from your spinal column the chiropractic adjustment also releases stress from your spinal cord and brain. This improves your nervous system (which your mind uses). That improved function helps your ability to detoxify and rid your body of any internal and external poisons you have accumulated.
Many chiropractors have noticed that in addition to the above, regular chiropractic care may increase a person’s sensitivity to their state of health and they naturally begin to eat better and avoid unhealthy toxins and procedures.
Every organ, gland, system and part of your being are interconnected. Improving any physical, mental or spiritual aspect of your well-being improves the health of every other part of your mind and body.
Getting Ticked Off
Lyme Disease has become a more well-known disease in recent years, but not for reasons to celebrate. It hasn’t been due to awareness or advocacy; it’s been because more people are being forced to get to know Lyme Disease up close and personal. Infection rates have been growing each year as the tick population increases. It has been reported this year that dog owners are seeing more ticks than ever. And 30% more people have reported finding ticks on their furry pets in just one month in the spring of 2021.
So, what does this mean? Nearly 500,000 medical diagnoses of Lyme Disease a year is the new normal. This year alone there is about a 15% increase in the tick population. Why? Climate changes. Historically there have been “Tick Seasons” typically spring, summer and the beginning of fall. However, with record breaking temperature highs for the winter months, it's blurring those lines. Ticks do not survive harsh cold winters. Less of those allows for the population to dramatically increase, and fast.
You may be under the impression that ticks, Lyme Disease and the chaos they bring are a problem only on the east coast. Bad news - that is just not the case. The tick population and Lyme reporting’s have spread to areas previously considered safe from these tiny disease carriers. California and other west coast states are now finding more and more ticks. Ticks have been found on beaches even, especially in dune grasses! Anywhere you might find a carrier of ticks is somewhere to be cautious when it comes to tick safety. Common carriers are birds, mice, deer and any small furry creature.
There are simple ways to help lessen the chance of being bitten by a tick, like wearing long pants and socks outside, using essential oils as a repellent prior to going outside and checking for ticks after going outside. If you find a tick on you there are a few things you can and should do. First, remove the tick with tweezers and then apply hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol. Something newer that can be done if you find a tick that seems to have been latched for an extended amount of time is save the tick and ship it to a lab to get the tick itself tested for Lyme and other tick-borne infections known as coinfections. You can also go to your doctor to order a blood test to see if you are infected right away. A positive result leads to prompt treatment. This is the best case and usually results in minor symptoms of Lyme disease and for a very short period of time. Many who wait or are not aware they have been bitten and are carrying Lyme Disease suffer long term and serious damage from the infection.
Just the Essentials
5 Essential Oils Every Home Needs
It’s hard to know where to start when adding essential oils into your home and daily life. Starting with the basics seems the most obvious way to go! Below are 5 essential oils that are versatile, powerful and easy to use.
Lavender is widely known for its ability to ease nerves and support a healthy nervous system; however, that is just one of many ways lavender can be used. How many times have you had a sunburn in the summer? Lavender is a powerhouse for skin, specifically burns. It is said that lavender can take the redness out of sunburn overnight while soothing the burning sensation. Other skin issues that lavender can help with are fungal infections, dry skin of all levels and blemishes.
Frankincense is one of the most important essential oils to keep around. Although high quality frankincense can be on the more expensive side, it is worth every penny. Frankincense is special for its abilities to cross the blood brain barrier. Very few things can penetrate that barrier in both eastern and western medicine. Those with focus issues, brain fog or neurodegenerative illnesses could benefit from the use of frankincense due to its known abilities to work with the brain. Frankincense is also known to even out skin complexion and reduce fine lines and wrinkles making it perfect to add to your skin care routine. Cuts, scrapes and bruises are also on the list of ways frankincense can be used in the home. It supports healing on a cellular level while reducing long term effects like scarring.
Lemon essential oil is full of vitamin C making it great for strengthening fingernails for all my ladies looking to grow healthier longer natural nails. Lemon oil is also known to boost overall mood. Its scent is uplifting and promotes positive mindsets. Those who struggle with seasonal depression have said that diffusing lemon essential oil brightens their mood and boosts their overall mental wellbeing. Lemon essential oil is antibacterial and antiviral making it supportive to a healthy home and immune system. It is perfect for everyone in your home!
Peppermint has many uses. It’s most popularly known to soothe nausea and stomach pain. Those with digestive issues find peppermint oil a must have in their home! Peppermint essential oils is also known for relieving headaches and general muscle pain due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Peppermint essential oil works with the respiratory system making it perfect to keep around for those who have asthma. Not only those with asthma but anyone who has a respiratory or sinus infection can benefit from the use of peppermint.
Melaleuca (Tea Tree):
Tea tree is a powerful essential oil. Its antibacterial properties make it amazing for bacterial infections of the skin, dandruff, keeping wounds clean and for cleaning surfaces in the home. Adding it to a cleaning solution is a great way to keep the home clean and clear of germs. One of the most popular ways to utilize melaleuca essential oil is spot treating blemishes.
Did You Know?
Unsuccessful marriage is a high-risk factor for premature death among men?
Researchers at Tel Aviv University’s Sackler School of Public Health tracked the health and behavior of 10,000 men for 32 years. All the men were Israeli state employees, with special attention paid to death from strokes and premature death in general.
The men underwent an extensive appraisal of health and behavioral patterns. At the beginning of the study, most of the participants were in their 40s. At the time of publication, 64% had died from various illnesses.
Researchers were surprised to discover that the number of men who died from a stroke was 69% higher among those who ranked their marriage as unsuccessful. They discovered that along with smoking and lack of physical activity their satisfaction from their marriage was a major predictive factor in the men’s life expectancy.
In their conclusion, the authors report: “The results of our study suggest that marital dissatisfaction may predict an elevated risk of all-cause mortality.” (5)
Chiropractic clinical case histories have been a regular feature of our patient newsletter since its inception. There seem to be no limit to the health problems that respond to chiropractic care. How many people suffering, on drugs, facing a life of limitation could be helped by chiropractic care?
Probably most of them.
Urinary incontinence in an older woman. A 75-year-old woman suffering from chronic urinary incontinence (involuntary leakages from the bladder) began chiropractic care. This is a too-often condition in the elderly.
Her incontinence began after she had been injured in an accident and had a surgical mesh procedure. She had to urinate as often as three times per night for the previous six years greatly impairing her ability to sleep peacefully.
Chiropractic examination (which included X-rays) revealed the woman had vertebral subluxations in the cervical (neck) and lumbar (lower back) spine.
Her chiropractic care consisted of 36 weekly visits. She had complete resolution of her urinary incontinence. She was happy to report that she was now able to sleep through the night. (6)
Return of hearing in a young girl. A 9-year-old girl was brought in by her parents for chiropractic care for her bronchitis, upper back pain, headaches and left ear hearing loss.
Her medical doctor diagnosed her with bronchitis; an ear, nose, throat and allergy specialist performed an audiogram which showed sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL) on the left that was considered to be a birth defect (congenital). The girl received a hearing aid in her left ear and was given preferential seating in school.
The patient received chiropractic adjustments in her upper cervical (neck) and thoracic (mid-back) spinal regions.
The next day at school, she noticed that she was able to hear without the use of her hearing aid. Her mother tested her later that evening by whispering to her into her left ear. Her hearing was normal. (7)
Kidney problems and chiropractic. A 42-year-old man began chiropractic care. His initial complaints were of neck, lower back and right pelvic pain. Each of his pain locations were rated as a 7, on a scale of 0 to 10 with 10 being the worst pain ever. He also experienced numbness in his right arm into his right pinky, as well as right shoulder pain.
He was medically diagnosed with abnormal kidney function as his blood analysis revealed elevated serum creatinine levels and decreased glomerular filtration rate.
He reported that the low back and pelvis pain have been present for almost 30 years when he suffered injuries playing high school football.
He was taking Lisinopril® and Bisoprolol® to help manage his high blood pressure and Crestor® for cholesterol. Prior to seeking chiropractic care, he went to medical doctors for his back and neck pain, with improvements reported.
His first chiropractic adjustment was to his cervical (neck) and thoracic (mid-back) spinal segments, sacrum and cranium. He reported a dramatic improvement in all pain complaints, a reduction in serum creatinine levels and improved glomerular filtration rate following 6 months of care. (8)
Severe Back Pain
My husband went to see Dr. Horning because of severe back pain (has a broken back). Dr. Horning's techniques have really eased the pain and helped my husband get around so much better. I too have been seeing him for back issues, gastro issues and swollen feet. When I tell you he has really alleviated these issues it's an understatement. It's the best decision we have ever made. He is full of so much helpful knowledge for just about everything. D. P.
- A man walks into a library and asks the librarian for books about paranoia. She whispers, "They're right behind you!"
- Want to hear a roof joke? The first one's on the house.
- What should you do if you're attacked by a group of clowns? Go straight for the juggler.
- Why don't koalas count as bears? They don't have the right koalafications.
- A cement mixer and a prison bus crashed on the highway. Police advise citizens to look out for a group of hardened criminals.
- I couldn't figure out why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.
- I saw a movie about how ships are put together. It was riveting.
- A man walks into a library and orders a hamburger. The librarian says, "This is a library." The man apologizes and whispers, "I'd like a hamburger, please."
- Why did the taxi driver get fired? Passengers didn't like it when she went the extra mile.
- What do you get when you pour root beer into a square cup? Beer.
- A group of crows was arrested for hanging out together. The charge? Attempted murder.
- How do you look for Will Smith in the snow? Just follow the fresh prints.
- Which rock group has four guys who can't sing or play instruments? Mount Rushmore.
- Why does Humpty Dumpty love autumn? Because he always has a great fall.
- Where do hamburgers take their sweethearts on Valentine's Day to dance? The Meat Ball!
- What time does a duck wake up? The quack of down.
- Some people eat snails. They must not like fast food.
- Have you heard the one about the skunk? Never mind, it really stinks.
- It's always windy in a sports arena. All those fans.
- How do mountains stay warm in the winter? Snowcaps.
- What happens to a frog's car when it breaks down? It gets toad away.
- What do you call a pile of kittens? A meowntain.
- Is this pool safe for diving? It deep ends.
- What is worse than raining cats and dogs? Hailing taxis!
- What did the nose say to the finger? Quit picking on me!
1. Cuhel JM, Powell M. Chiropractic management of an infant patient experiencing colic and difficulty breast-feeding: a case report. Journal of Clinical Chiropractic Pediatrics. 1997;2(2):150-154.
2. Harris SL, Wood KW. Resolution of infantile Erb's palsy utilizing chiropractic treatment. JMPT. 1993;16:415-418.
3. Toto BJ. Chiropractic correction of congenital muscular torticollis. JMPT. 1993;16:556-559.
4. Gutmann G. The atlas fixation syndrome in the baby and infant. Manuelle Medizin. 1987;25:5-10.
5. Lev-ari S, Gepner Y, Gouldburt U. Dissatisfaction with married life in men is related to increased stroke and all-cause mortality. J.Clin Med. 2021;10(8):1729.
6. Fedorchuk C, Simon D. Resolution of urinary incontinence in a 75-year-old female undergoing chiropractic care for correction of vertebral subluxation: a case report & review of the literature. Annals of Vertebral Subluxation Research. June 18, 2021:36-42.
7. Briegel L, Briegel L. Resolution of sensorineural hearing loss in a 9-year-old child following chiropractic care to reduce vertebral subluxation: a case report & review of the literature. J Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health, Chiropractic. April 28, 2021:26-31.
8. DiNardo AM, Stotz B. Normalization of serum creatinine levels, estimated glomerular filtration rate & dysautonomia following chiropractic care to reduce vertebral subluxation: a case report & review of the literature. Annals of Vertebral Subluxation Research. December 15, 2020:171-177.