May 1, 2017
In our continuing quest to introduce more people (including children) to the
benefits of chiropractic care we are offering a complimentary consultation to see if chiropractic can help. Call the office for an appointment and bring in this page in order to receive your FREE consultation. Call now: 856-778-8688
Enjoy the benefits of chiropractic – the largest natural, drug-free, surgery-free, expressive healthcare system in the world.
More and more families are discovering that periodic chiropractic checkups and adjustments promote health and healing without drugs and dangerous medical treatments.
More and more people are turning away from symptom treatment and choosing natural ways of achieving and maintaining health.
Tired of taking drugs and the medical runaround?
Welcome to the world of chiropractic – discover how natural health can be.
This issue’s table of contents
- Cycle of Rebirth
- Questions and Answers About Chiropractic
- Toe Walking, Meningeal Tension and Chiropractic
- Traditional Eating – Fermented Foods
- Did You Know?
- Researching Chiropractic
- Autism in The Non-Vaccinated
Cycle of Rebirth
Spring is more than our northern hemisphere turning its face to the sun – it reminds us of rebirth, repair and renewal. May this spring remind you of all that inspires you about life and propels you forward to recreate, heal and grow.
Questions and Answers About Chiropractic
How often should I come in for chiropractic care?
Just as you get your car checked, your piano tuned and have dental checkups so you should have regular chiropractic checkups. No other health care professional is trained to locate and correct health-damaging subluxations – that’s the chiropractor’s specialty.
Because you live with gravity and deal with physical, emotional and other stresses all your life, subluxations invariably show up and weaken your ability to deal with those stresses.
Exactly how often should you come in for a checkup? Some people come in weekly, some monthly and some even daily if they have acute problems. It all depends on your lifestyle. If you are a cowboy working in the rodeo, a stuntman or woman in Hollywood or an athlete you’d probably need more care than someone who has a desk job, although sedentary workers and students sometimes exhibit more subluxations because of the intense emotional stress they can be under.
The best way to find out is for you to talk to us about how well your body deals with stress so we can develop an optimal care plan for you and for each member of your family.
Toe Walking, Meningeal Tension and Chiropractic
Toe walking, as is seen in some children, may be a sign of stress or tension on the brain and spinal cord. It is often caused by the tightening of their meninges. The child is relieving the stress by standing on his/her toes.
What are the meninges? The meninges are sheets of connective tissue that wrap around the brain and spinal cord. The outer layer (dura mater) is like a tough, inelastic sheet. The meninges have many functions, one of which is to protect the nervous system from physical stress and chemical toxicity.
What causes this tension? Serious injuries and burns, infections, toxins and childhood vaccination have all been observed to be linked to meningeal tension.
Toe walkers generally have numerous subluxations in their body structure. All toe walkers need chiropractic care to help release the meningeal tension on their brain and nervous system. With less stress on their brain and nervous system they will function closer to their optimal.
Traditional Eating – Fermented Foods
Fermented foods are absolutely essential for your health and should be a part of every meal. They are found in every culture. Fermented foods help keep your intestinal flora healthy and that is necessary for so many aspects of your health – digestion, elimination, nutrition and even mental health.
Among the most popular fermented foods are sauerkraut, pickles, yogurt, kefir, kombucha, kvass, sourdough, (traditionally made) beer, even root beer and other soft drinks (not the commercial stuff). Even ketchup was originally a fermented sauce. You can make your own!
Nearly any food can be fermented or pickled. Two good books are The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Fermenting Foods and The Art of Fermentation both by Warden Harmon. Also go to www.westonaprice.org for more information on fermented (and fermenting) foods.
Did you know?
- It's possible to lead a cow upstairs but not down?
- One quarter of your bones are in your feet?
- Your tongue is the fastest healing part of your body?
- You share your birthday with 9 million others?
- You burn more calories sleeping than watching TV?
- A group of frogs is called an army?
- DD Palmer discovered chiropractic in 1895? That’s his picture.
Chiropractic clinical case histories have been a regular feature of our patient newsletter since its inception. There seems to be no limit to the health problems that respond to chiropractic care. How many people suffering, on drugs, facing a life of limitation could be helped by chiropractic care?
Probably most of them.
Labor and delivery. A 28-year-old woman began seeing a chiropractor for wellness care. Her first pregnancy had been long and difficult and afterwards she experienced tailbone pain.
She received regular chiropractic care before the conception of her second child and continued to receive chiropractic adjustments throughout the pregnancy. Her second labor and delivery experience was both shorter and easier than the first birth. In addition, her earlier pain disappeared. (1)
Scoliosis and pregnancy. A 21-week pregnant 28-year-old woman visited a chiropractor. She presented with shoulder and neck pain due to scoliosis and with pregnancy-related complaints. Her pain was constant and rated at 6/10. Seven years earlier she had scoliosis surgery with rods surgically implanted into her spine. The rods locked her spine from T2 (just below the neck) to L3 (the middle of the lower back).
Even with the rods she was able to receive chiropractic care for subluxation correction.
Each visit saw a reduction in pain. By her 13th visit (6 weeks) her pain reduced from 6/10 to 2/10, her quality of life improved and she successfully delivered a 7 lbs. 5 oz., 20” baby vaginally. (2)
Fibromyalgia, fatigue, depression and headaches. A 40-year-old woman with an eight-year history of fibromyalgia presented for chiropractic care. She complained of widespread muscle and joint pain, fatigue, depression and headaches that limited her ability to function and enjoy life.
Analysis revealed postural distortions and spinal distortions indicative of spinal subluxations. She received chiropractic care 44 times over 5 months. She showed improvements in all aspects of life that had been evaluated: emotional well-being, energy/fatigue, general health, pain, physical functioning and social functioning. (3)
“Stabbing” neck and shoulder pain, arm numbness and weakness. A 16-year-old girl threw a discus and felt an immediate stabbing, burning pain in her neck and shoulder that she described as 10 out of 10. Within 40 minutes of the injury, her left arm went numb and weak.
She had a history of fatigue, dizziness and headaches, and depression. Medical examination including MRI could not find the cause of her problems so the MDs decided it was psychological and referred her for psychiatric evaluation. She refused and instead received chiropractic care.
After her first visit, she reported a 50% increase in her arm muscle strength. By her 4th visit her arm was back to normal but she still had neck pain and stiffness. By the 6th visit, all the pain and stiffness was gone.
She returned five months later with similar complaints after being hit in the head with a basketball. This time her symptoms completely disappeared after one visit. (4)
Autism in The Non-Vaccinated
A US government whistleblower revealed that researchers at the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) have known for many years that vaccines cause autism but hid the information from the public. Also, the younger the baby at first vaccinations, the greater the chances of autism. The US government has finally admitted that vaccines cause autism in the Department of Justice “Vaccine Court.” However, there are also cases of children with autism and similar symptoms who were not vaccinated. How can there be autism in the non-vaccinated? (5)
Nearly all disease is multi-factorial, meaning that many factors can go into its cause. For example, although a population of children may be exposed to the same vaccine toxins, children may have different abilities to rid their body of toxins or detoxify. Some children can remove the lead and other toxic chemicals better than others. But there’s another source of toxicity – the mother.
From their mother?
Newborns receive toxins from their mother before birth.
Analysis of a pregnant woman’s blood and her umbilical cord blood shows that mothers detoxify through their babies. Depending on how toxic she may be from a lifetime of exposure to vaccines, heavy metals, herbicides, pesticides and pollution of all kinds, her baby will receive more or less toxins.
For that reason, it is essential that all women who are considering getting pregnant be tested for toxicity and if necessary begin a detoxification program. The baby will thank you.
In addition, giving a child Tylenol™ (especially after vaccination) and/or antibiotics as well as exposure to other toxins can weaken a child’s ability to detoxify. Intestinal problems are one symptom:
Autism is primarily a disorder of the brain, but research suggests that as many as nine out of 10 individuals with the condition also suffer from gastrointestinal problems such as inflammatory bowel disease and 'leaky gut’. Restoring proper microbial balance could alleviate some of the disorder's behavioral symptoms. (6)
Natasha Campbell-McBride, MD discovered that nearly all mothers of autistic children have abnormal gut flora (newborns inherit their gut flora from their mothers). Damaged gut flora weakens the immune system, causing toxins to leak into the brain leading to attention deficit disorder (ADD), dyslexia, dyspraxia, obsessive-compulsive disorder, autism and other conditions.
Dr. McBride developed the Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) program to heal the gut lining, improve detoxification, balance body chemistry and even reverse autism. She found that fermented foods help brain health by improving intestinal health. For information on GAPS go to www.westonaprice.org.
Fermented foods may be particularly relevant to the emerging research linking traditional dietary practices and positive mental health … may mitigate inflammation and oxidative stress may be controlled … may also influence brain health. (7)
See our article above on fermented foods.
Left Hip Pain
I was born with a problem with my left hip, which in turn had me in surgery about 4 times in my 35 years of life. My last surgery was a total hip replacement which had to be done twice.
At that time I thought that I would not have pain and I would walk “normally.” I was wrong. For the past 3 years after surgery I had two rounds of physical therapy. The results would last for a few months then the pain and limp would return.
I met Dr Horning for help. He started me with ABC (Advanced Bio-structural Correction—A chiropractic technique to correct the structure of the spine). After only a few corrections my hip finally felt like it was a part of me! I walk normally!
I feel great! I am doing so much better!
Thank you Dr Horning!
- Is a boneless chicken considered to be an invertebrate?
- Do married people live longer than single people or does it just seem longer?
- Would a salesperson in a bookstore help you if you asked, "Where's the self-help section?"
- If all those psychics know the winning lottery numbers, why are they all still working?
- Isn't the best way to save face to keep the lower part shut?
- Why is there an expiration date on sour cream?
- Why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?
- How do you tell when you're out of invisible ink?
- If a deaf person has to go to court, is it still called a hearing?
- What happens if you get half-scared to death – twice!
- Do pediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?
- Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?
- If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
- If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?
- If the #2 pencil is the most popular, why is it still #2?
- If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?
- If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry?
- If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?
- If a man is standing in the middle of a field speaking and there is no woman around to hear him … is he still wrong?
- Where do forest rangers go to "get away from it all?"
- What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered plant?
- If a parsley farmer is sued, can they garnish his wages?
Please write or stop by and give us your feedback. Are there any subjects you’d like to hear about? Anything you dislike? Feedback is always important to us. And, of course, if you’d like hard copies of this newsletter stop by the office and we’ll give you some for your friends and relatives. If they have email, have them write to us and we’ll add them to our subscriber list.
- Kent D, Vanderslice KD, Beachum AR. Reduction of labor and delivery time in a pregnant patient undergoing subluxation centered chiropractic care. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health – Chiropractic. 2017;2:40-43.
- Edwards J, Alcantara J. The chiropractic care of a patient with Harrington rods, scoliosis & back pain during pregnancy. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health – Chiropractic. 2017;1:32-39.
- Fedorchuk C, Lightstone D, Moser JH. Improvement in symptoms, cervical alignment & quality of life in a 40-year-old female with fibromyalgia following Chiropractic BioPhysics® Technique: a case study and selective review of literature. Annals of Vertebral Subluxation Research. March 13, 2017:34-46.
- Michaeli S, Russell D, Alcantara J. The chiropractic care of a teenager with possible conversion disorder. Journal of Pediatric, Maternal & Family Health – Chiropractic. 2017;1:24-31.
- Park A. Whistleblower claims CDC covered up data showing vaccine-autism link. Time Health. Aug 28, 2014. http://time.com/3208886/whistleblower-claims-cdc-covered-up-data-showing...
- Moyer MW. Gut bacteria may play a role in autism. Scientific American. August 14, 2014;25(5).
- Selhub EM, Logan AC, Bested AC. Fermented foods, microbiota, and mental health: ancient practice meets nutritional psychiatry. J Physiol Anthropol. 2014;33(1):2.